Saturday, October 18, 2014

Adding Reading to My Schedule

I woke up this morning, probably around 7 am.  It's Saturday.  I don't normally wake up that early, but with my boyfriend's work schedule, I had gotten used to getting up at 6 am or so.  Sometimes I would go back to sleep, sometimes not.  But now I wake up thinking about writing.  I want to go to the computer to see what I can do today.  I also have been starting my mornings with reading.

Reading has always felt like a real treat to me because, as a child, I could not read until my chores and homework were done.  I was always trying to get in a moment to read.  Many times I read while my chores waited (and my sisters got mad at me because they were already working).  I felt guilty, but I did it anyway.  As an adult, I feel guilty when I read because I learned as a child that it's a past time meant to be done when the work is finished.  But for a writer, it's not a past time, it's part of your job.

I still find it euphoric to believe that I really can read and I must read every day.  It's been a while since I've really gotten wrapped up in a book.  Though I have begun reading again, I don't immerse myself in the stories yet the way I did as a child.  It will come back though.  I might just be afraid to get into a good thing then have to feel that wonderful, terrible feeling of suspense in between reading times or while the author is writing the next book.  Perhaps it's because I made myself wait for years for something that never happened.  (Maybe I will write a book about that someday.)  Suspense turned from pleasure to agony.  I will learn again that suspense is a fun thing.  Suspense and curiosity drive life and make it exciting.

So here's what I'm reading this morning.  I may read parts of each, or just one book.  I don't know.  And that's part of the fun.  I'm still finding my groove with reading.  I'm settling into my life-purpose and it feels so good, even the learning curve I'm on.


No comments:

Post a Comment